Tuesday, January 12, 2010

DIY: BLIND HEM SLIP STITCH

I've had a couple requests on how to hem a skirt or pair of pants.  Since I've been short for quite a while now, I've mastered the art of hemming pants.  So, I thought I'd share a quick tutorial on hemming a pair of dress trousers.

To start, try on the pants with your shoes (very important) and pin the pants wear you would like them to be.  Once you get a rough idea of the length (and take the pants off), measure what you would like to take off and pin the entire cuff evenly.  Iron the new hem and try them on one more time to make sure you're happy with the length.

hem pic

Now, you're ready to stitch:


SLIP STITCH from Blue Collar Kyla on Vimeo.

I hope this helps!  Feel free to email me with any questions!

UPDATE:  Do as I say, not as I do.  I skipped the "try them on one more time before stitching" step and they are now 1" too short.  Gah!  Luckily I kept all that "extra fabric in case I ever want to make them longer."

7 comments:

  1. Kyla, what would I do without you? This is the PERFECT tutorial for me because I too have been short for a while now and always need to hem my pants.. .however since I never knew how, I just bought taller shoes to compromise.

    Now, I don't have to do that...well, I will still be buying shoes, but you know what I meant. ;D

    Thanks again, love this!

    xoxo
    Amy

    http://thebargainhunterextraordinaire.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is so awesome to hear your voice, Kyla! I love when my fave bloggers post videos... gives more insight into them (and you!) as a whole person, ya know?

    anyway... this is an excellent tutorial. i usually have the opposite problem (pants too short), but my g/f is a wee one who wears a lot of men's clothes, so hemming would be very useful, especially for jacket cuffs! thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow- I think I can actually do that! Thanks!

    How tall *are* you? I assumed you were pretty tall- you look like you would be taller than me in your pictures (I am 5'4") :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. such a great update. definitely something every girl needs to know! love your site!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So great! Thanks for putting this together! We shorty's need all the help we can get. Actually, the dress I had on today was the result of not trying on before sticthing and I had to keep on tugging it down as to not show my umm...hoohah!
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hehe you really cracked me up with your comment "Since I have been short for quite awhile now"! Too funny!

    goldleafashley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin