Friday, May 7, 2010

HOOKED ON A FEELING

5-7-10 1
5-7-10 2

Is it possible that red and blue plaid could be considered a neutral?  These days, I seem to be treating it as so.  I think it may have something to do with the way it feels.  Every time I wear this shirt, I feel like I'm masquerading my coziest pajamas as something daytime, or even work, appropriate.

5-7-10 3
5-7-10 4

This combination came together in the most organic way.  I just put on a couple of off-beat pieces that make me feel good and then added a few pieces of jewelry to polish it up a bit.

5-7-10 5

There's a realistic, practical part of me that knows it doesn't really match.  And that it's toeing the line of frumpdom.  But the passionate, whimsical part of me doesn't care.  I know that it feels good.  And that it feels like me.  And that I love it.  And that's all that really matters.

Some days, I just feel like closing my eyes, letting go of fashion and trends, stigmas, fears and self-consciousness, and thinking of nothing other than the feeling I get from my clothes.  It's as though I could step away from my closet, completely open my mind and let the clothes guide my way.  It's amazing all of the peripheral crap in life that I sometime allow to dictate my style - the worst of which is the fear of what others may think.  I've always had a certain level of style bravado, but even I can let others get to me from time to time.  The best resolution?  Wear something you love and hold your head high.  How do you step outside the box?

5-7-10 6
5-7-10 7
Pants: self-made - Shirt: Target, $5 - Misc. Jewelry - Shoes: Ross, $9

18 comments:

  1. Love that plaid shirt.

    I know what you mean. Sometimes I feel like giving up all thoughts of fashion and just wearing a pair of jeans and tee all day, then I realise that without style, I wouldn't be me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have the same shirt!

    http://keepfashion.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I can relate so much to what you've said in this post. I really hate it when the thought of others' judgment or of ubiquitous fashion "rules" intrudes upon feeling great in an outfit that I love because it feels like me.

    *waves* New reader here, by the way, hi :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think what makes me feel good tends to be pretty safe. That upsets me on occasion, causing me to do something whackadoodle every once in a while. I agree though. You wear what makes you feel good, societal norms be damned. You look amazing here. Oh, and this must be Friday hair because I did the exact same thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to be really careful because I work in a construction business office so I have to be office apropriate and not venture too far into what can be seen as "sexy". I like to go over the top with my shoes. When I do though, I have to balance them with very conservative, or what I think of as muted clothing. I also like to branch out with my jewelry. Lately I've been feeling very rocker-chic but a full on look like that won't cut it for my day-to-day life. *sighs*

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE THIS- outfit and words! =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this outfit is just full of fun juxtapositions. Honestly, I love the silhouette of those pants, and I would try to steal them from you in a heartbeat if they were black.

    Since I'm an academic and there is such a wide range of styles (or what some might call a lack thereof) in the university setting, I feel like I can break or bend rules with the exception of dressing too revealingly. My male students are already thinking about sex more than I'd care to think about, and I don't want to give them any excuse to think about it more with cleavage or too much skin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's anything but frumpy!

    I know what you mean. I like to dress more how I feel or what I like than what is considered "appropriate" or "the way to wear things".

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great look! I love your idea of "neutrals".

    It is soo crazy that you wrote that last paragraph about "feeling your clothes". I had that exact thought run through my head today and it got me thinking. I'm glad you posted it. It's an interesting topic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your pants are incredible.

    I would imagine dressing up as you feel and not caring about limits set by anyone else must feel like being a child again. You've not heard of any fashion "rules" yet and you just go for anything that makes you feel happy and pretty. and it doesn't even matter that it won't make sense to anyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your plaid shirt! <3

    www.abitoffashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love how you added red lip stick to this causal look!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love this outfit! it is nowhere near the border of frumpdom. don't you just love when you can leave the house looking great but feeling like you're in pjs? that is the best. ~joelle

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really love how defiant your ecxpression is in all of the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Damn, Kyla, you make slouchy comfort look GOOOOOOD.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gosh, I wish I had an outfit like this to wear on the plane tomorrow morning! It looks so comfy chic.

    ReplyDelete
  17. this is fashionable comfort if you ask me! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that feeling, when things come together just because they feel good and they pull you, not because you're hoping to convey anything or look a certain way. Who knows what leads one to choose clothes, really, but it is SUCH a good feeling to have that not at the front of one's mind. And here you look so great- comfortable, sassy, totally happy. That's pretty much the best style a girl can have.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin