Friday, October 30, 2009

FOUR DOLLAR FRIDAY

10-30-09 1

Does anyone remember seeing this buffalo check coat at The Loft last winter?  It has a crew neck with no collar and was sold with a big black belt.  Anyone?  Oh, and it was also $179.

10-30-09 2

Well, I liked it then, but let it pass since it was kind of out of my price point.

Disclaimer:  I HATE buying coats.  We have awful winters and I always feel like it's so much money that I have no choice but to dump into a coat for my least favorite season.  Anyway...

So, I did really like the coat, I just didn't really like the idea of so much of shopping budget going for a 3/4 length coat.  BUT... I would TOTALLY pay $4 for it at Goodwill.  And that I did.

10-30-09 3

 After I brought this beauty home, it just sat there crying for a furry friend.  I knew it had to be paired with a fur collar or scarf and what do you think my mom showed up with the next day?  This vintage fur collar, most likely belonging to one of my late grandmothers.  It was destiny.

I had this outfit in my mind the other night and was really excited for today just so I could wear it. Since Fridays are spent running around town to odd jobs and client meetings, layers and comfort are key.  This was the perfect combination for all the hustling and bustling I had in store today.

10-30-09 4

The only bad thing is that I wore a pair of ped-like socks instead of normal socks and spent the entire day pulling them up over my heels.  Sooooo annoying!

10-30-09 5
The Loft Coat: thrifted, $4 - Black and White Striped Turtleneck: Ross, $3 - Custom Jeans: courtesy of indiDenim - Flats: Target w/ DIY studs, $10ish - Glasses: Fred Flare, $11 (haha - the most expensive part of the whole look!)

26 comments:

  1. Such a fun outfit. I am MEGA jealous of that jacket, too. I also hate buying coats. They are just SO expensive. I really need to get a good down one this year though. Can't afford to freeze anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What??!! I've never been in Goodwill. You've got some great items there. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That coat is so great! Isn't it great when things just pop into your life like that? Fate just works in mysterious ways like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow the goodwill in your area sounds great. The one near me wanted to charge me $70 bucks for a coat that wasn't half as nice as yours! I told them to stick it, obviously. The coat probably i wanted probably retailed for less than $90!

    Love the fur collar! I need to get me one of those...

    ReplyDelete
  5. *applause....love this outfit Kyla...way to thrift man!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice! Maybe the best thrifting deal I have seen yet. Lots of bang for the $4 here.

    Also, the jeans are TDf!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oooh what a steal! gorgeous coat, and the fur collar adds something special to it for sure... especially if it's an heirloom (can a piece of clothing be an heirloom?). living in CA I don't buy coats anymore... on the rare occasion that it's really cold enough I have my one camel pea coat that I'll wear. I actually miss buying new coats! the grass is always greener I suppose :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your coat so much! Love the plaid print!

    colormenana.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. hooray for goodwill! what a great find. the fur collar looks like it was meant to be with the coat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love this entire look!!! what a great find!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That coat is awesome and what a steal! You were blessed by the thrifting gods.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is all amazing. But obviously the jacket and fur collar take the show! I know exactly what you mean about buying a winter jacket... I have no problem being unsensible and buying a dress for one occasion but dropping a lot on a jacket I will wear everyday hurts... weird.

    ReplyDelete
  13. really cute darling
    great autumn look
    love the shoes, love the jacket
    gorgeous!!!

    -cma
    check out my blog @
    cosmicaroline.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, great find! It must have been meant to be ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantabulous outfit! Those jeans fit you perfectly, and I CANNOT BELIEVE the deal you got on that jacket!! It is inspiring me to plan a thrifting trip with my galpals next weekend. Love the shoes, too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Everyone seems to have these really great Goodwills near their home. I keep going to the one near my work in Podunk, Kansas. Maybe I should look for one closer to the city, where I live. I never find anything un-gross.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i LOVE this coat! you're so lucky to find it...and that goodwill is mega cheap! there is NO way i would find really anything at a thrift store in ny for $4...

    ReplyDelete
  18. $4??? Oh my goodness. You can't be serious. It's amazing! You look phenomenal.

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW Kyla, $4 is amazing for that coat.
    I hate buying coats too, I never need them where I live.
    Yet the nearest city is 1700km south & freezing so you always need them there..
    Congrats again on the find.
    You look fabulous in it.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. You win for best deal found at Goodwill! That's a beauty of a coat, Kyla!

    ReplyDelete
  21. SCORE! That is a great coat and you look wonderful in it...and can we talk about those specs? Awesomeness:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. love love love this outfit. So great! I love the addition of the fur collar! I cut mine off a vintage coat (its semi-removable, no damage to either) and now want to wear it with EVERYTHING!

    You look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  23. oh wow what a great find. love it with the fur collar and striped tee

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin